Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tasty Thursday: Breakfast!

Today's Tasty Thursday is all about breakfast! 

Who doesn't love breakfast? No one you say? WRONG. I don't really love breakfast, I like breakfast and actually I usually have to force myself to eat something that is considered a breakfast item. I would much rather eat a bag of chips or a cold piece of pizza for breakfast but, when your trying to get bikini ready those are not wise choices. 

So today I have not one, but two breakfast ideas and recipes for you! Both are tasty and low in fat! 

First we have an omelet! 

Spicy Turkey Spinach and Cheese Omelet to be exact. 

I like eggs but they need to be savory, I used to love scrambled eggs as a kid and now I can hardly eat them without feeling like I want to gag. Lovely I know... Anyway. Moral of the story iswhen I add other items to the eggs I'm good. 

This  is what you'll need...
I forgot to take a picture of the milk...
3 Eggs, cheese, fresh spinach, hot sauce, milk, salt and pepper.

Beat the eggs, milk and hot sauce together in bowl, pour the mixture into a hot, lightly oiled pan. 
Small pan for small omelet
Salt and pepper, now, to your liking. 
After you add the salt and pepper add as much spinach and turkey as you like. 
Yumyum!
Turn your heat down to like medium low and cover, don't go anywhere because this won't take long.
See how the omelet in the picture has turned a light yellow vs. the dark yellow from the first picture, it means your egg is cooking... good job! That is why you want your heat on low, you don't want to burn the bottom of your omelet.


Cheese me.
See how the omelet has now become a little fluffy, it may look very undone on top but it'll be okay, I promise. Add your cheese, any kind, I only had American so that is what I used. 

Now you fold your omelet. You can fold it with a spatula or flip it like I did! Too bad I wasn't running video, it was pretty damn Food Network worthy.
Food Network Worthy...boom.
You can now turn your heat off and cover the omelet again for a few minuets and you'll be ready to eat!


Yum. This omelet with have your creepy annoying dog salivating by your feet.
Spicy Turkey Spinach and Cheese Omelet
313 Calories
1 or 2 servings 

Ingredients
3 Eggs

1 Tbsp milk

1-2 Tbsp hot sauce

1/4 cup fresh spinach 

2 Tbsp chopped turkey lunch meat

1 piece of cheese (any kind)

salt and pepper

Beat eggs, milk and hot sauce together. Add mixture to a hot, slightly oiled pan. Salt and pepper to taste, add turkey and spinach. Cover until it looks slightly cooked. Add cheese to half of the omelet and fold omelet in half. Cover again and finish cooking. 


Now the special second recipe for those who prefer something on the sweeter side!

Whole Wheat Waffles 

These were surprisingly good, I was a little worried they were going to be dry and grainy because the whole wheat flour can really do that to some baked goods. 

First you'll need...
Milk, eggs, coconut oil, ground flax seed, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Yes that is all. Easy peasy.

In a large mixing bowl add your flour (2 cups), flax seed (2 heaping tsp), baking powder (2 tsp), and salt (1/2 tsp). 
Add all the stuff to da bowl.
Mix the dry ingredients together.
Now set aside and get ready for the dry ingredients. 

Separate your egg whites and yolks. Whites should go into a glass bowl because it is easier to fluff them in a glass bowl. Add your egg yolks (2), milk (1 1/2 cup), and coconut oil (1/3 cup). If you don't have coconut oil any will work but it give the waffle a good flavor and it is good for you. Mix up your yolk, milk and oil mix and quickly stir into the dry ingredients. I say quickly because coconut oil hardens quickly! If you get it mixed in it won't do that. 

Now fluff your egg whites. Beat them like you'd beat your husband for playing video games instead of folding laundry like you asked him to...
They should sit on our whisk like so.
Now fold your egg whites into the rest of the waffle batter.

Do not over mix or all your hard work will be gone and your waffles will be very dense and chewy. 
Once you've mixed your batter let it set for about 10 minuets, this is perfect time to clean up your mess because I know you have flour everywhere. And a good time to heat your waffle iron.
I didn't clean the kitchen, I watched Supernatural for 10 minuets...
10 minuets has passed, you cleaned or like me stared at Dean Winchester from Supernatural now you can make your waffles!! Yeahhh buddy!

I have this round iron so I put a little bit in each corner and made myself baby waffles. They are filling!

Once you have them all made up you can stick them in bags or containers and save them for next week by freezing them or for tomorrow by sticking them in the fridge! 

I didn't even have to put syrup on mine I made a sweet mixed berry compote! 
NOM!
 Whole Wheat Waffles
Makes approx. 6 servings
303 Calories per serving

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons ground flax seed (optional)
2 teapoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites (beaten until fluffy)
**You could add a little cinnamon as well, like a tsp. I just thought of that.

Heat your waffle iron.
Beat your egg whites until white peaks form and set aside.
In a bowl mix together flour, flax seed, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl mix together milk, oil and egg yolks. Combine wet mixture with dry mixture and mix just until combined.
Fold in egg whites.

Let sit for about 10 minutes before you start making them. (Good time to clean up)

Bake in waffel iron until done.

Add some mixed berry compote to the top and you don't even need syrup! :)
Enjoy!


<3 Brittni

Comments are appreciated! I'd love to know if you tried the recipes and if you added your own spin to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment